Friday, October 17, 2008

She Lives Perfectly - You Think You Know

I don't suppose there is anything that would make this time any easier, being away from him day in and day out. It's only months, not likes it's years. Not like it's centuries apart from each other where we find each other again after many long tumultuous years like in a fancy romance novel. Of course there is something about our love that often reminds me of a romance novel and I smile at that thought of my husband as prince charming. And he is, my prince. It was years between us finding each other again, not centuries of course, I don't think i could have survived centuries without him. He's perfect. He's perfectly lovable and stubborn and he has a smile that lights up a room. Of course, he has a sense of humor that makes me wanna strangle him sometimes, in love of course.

It's usually hardest at night. It's then that I have to crawl into the cold covers alone, feeling nothing but air next to my feet and what's the body beside me? It's not human, but a pillow that I sometimes roll on to, as if to give myself the sense that I am not alone. I'm not, not really in the spiritual sense, but when my human emotions kick in, I feel horribly alone. It was just yesterday, while lying in bed, that I thought of how he would be home soon and our daughter would be turning two. I smile and then feel bad and then smile again at the thought of her with him, wrapping him ever so gentle around her pinkie. Ha, that rough and tough man has his world wrapped into two children and a wife, how different from his earlier goals in life.

You wouldn't imagine the story of the anit-perfect man (reminds me of an anit-hero) and the girl he fell in love with, back in the small town that sophomore year of school. I can't begin to get into his mind, but as a woman, I imagine him loving her at first sight. That girl who was so unhappy to be in a new school away from the one that had offered her so many opportunities, or so she thought. I think back to that girl now and think, how lucky you are? You didn't know the love of your life had looked at you, in that small school you disliked so much. AH, the opportunity I could have missed, that man I am in love with, devastated to be away from and yet, here I am again, away from him, my heart devastated but my will strong.

I thought I knew what I wanted and I thought I knew all about the world I was going to learn. Truth is, looking back, I hadn't the first clue about myself. I met him and hadn't the slightest clue he had his eyes on me. It wasn't until years later that I heard from our mutual friend that he was interested in me, and followed us around to gain but a second of attention. I'm sure my sweet husband would laugh at that bit of information. I beleive the words were, "followed around like a lost puppy", and yes those are not my words. I couldn't imagine my sweet husband as a lost puppy, a confident bull dog maybe, but puppy, I laugh at the thought.

So the story of two unlike and yet so likely lovers begins. What follows may have happened and maybe not, but the feelings, the love is real. The other half of this relationships knows what has happened back in our younger days better than I do. He comes up with more memories than I know are true or false. Of course, my sweet baby wouldn't lie to me and I know that, so I blush when he tells me of things I did or didn't do of the way he felt back then. He fell for her then she fell for him then he ran away, not literally, but emotionally and mentally and she moved on, or did she?

No comments: